Stephen H. Rothbatt Scholarship
In 2010, the Lake Michigan States Section of the Air & Waste Management Association established a scholarship for graduate students studying in the environmental field in memory of a long-time member and supporter, Stephen H. Rothblatt who passed in December 2007.
Mr. Rothblatt was the Director, Air and Radiation Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 5, headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. His credentials included:
- Advisor to the Governments of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and India related to air quality management programs.
- Advisor to the Republic of Korea, leading a team of air quality experts twice to Seoul where they developed a strategy to deal with the reduced visibility/fine particulate problem of the Seoul-Inchon metropolitan area.
- Chairman of the Lake Michigan States Section of the Air & Waste Management Association, 1987-1988.
- In 1989 he was detailed to U.S. EPA's Office of Air and Radiation in Washington, DC to work with the Headquarters' team developing what became the 1990 Amendments to the Clean Air Act.
- Mr. Rothblatt earned his Chemical Engineering degree from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana and the Juris Doctorate degree from DePaul University's College of Law.